Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Our Deepest Fear

One of my favorite family movies is Akeelah and the Bee.  This powerful movie shows how an unlikely community unites to support a smart, determined eleven-year-old spelling dynamo to follow her dream of becoming a Scripps National Spelling Bee champion. If you want to see commitment, courage, conflict, action, drama, fear of failure, inspiration and a strong heroine who steadfastly works toward her dream despite the odds against her, watch this tearjerker of a movie. And you will truly be inspired to follow your own dream.

There is one scene of the movie, where Akeelah's coach, Dr. Larabee, asks her to read a framed quote hanging on the wall. The quote was so good, I became quite obsessed with finding out who was credited with this bit of inspired brilliance. After playing this DVD over again a couple times to hear this lovely nugget of wisdom, I Googled it and found Marianne Williamson. This quote is simply spot on perfect.
Our Deepest Fear
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
-
A Return To Love:Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles, by Marianne Williamson

I think this quote is spot on to read at the beginning of a New Year.  Doesn't it make you want to create, write, and take action toward your dreams? 

Enjoy your weekend and come back Monday to start the 2009 New Years 30 Day Challenge.  Time to make some progress!

9 comments:

egretsnest said...

I love that quote and I agree. It's not failure that scares us but success. Looking forward to the challenge.

Beth Kephart said...

My goodness, this is perfect. And I have a young aspiring writer friend that I am now going to send it to.

PJ Hoover said...

I'm looking forward to the 30 day challenge! Now to figure out what I'll go for this time. Reading? Writing? I think the latter. Revisions, perhaps.
Have a great weekend, Vivian!

Betty and Boo's Mommy said...

What a wonderful quote, Vivian! That is just perfect for the New Year. Hope yours is a happy one!

MotherReader said...

That's one of my favorite quotes. Or poems - I've seen it written out with the line breaks, and I prefer it that way. Either way, great thought to start the new year.

Solvang Sherrie said...

What a fabulous quote! Another post of yours I'll have to print out for inspiration!

Someone gave us that movie to watch and we haven't done it yet. I'll have to pull it out and watch it with the family.

laurasalas said...

I, too, love that quote (and the movie!). I was surprised to hear the source. When it was read in the movie, and when I've heard it another time or two, I always assumed it was...older...somehow!

Thanks for sharing. Great way to start the new year!

Philbert said...

This quote changed my life. i felt a release of life and energy that i had never used before. It always comes in handy when am feeling low. I must say i identify with the feeling that we are all powerful beyond measure.

Philbert said...

This quote inspired me alot. There are times in life, when we get low and tend to feel the weight of the world on our shoulders. This quote always help me a get a total realease of the life within and i feel i get all the enery i need to face the mountain in my life.
This poem must be inspired by God. I love it.