Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Friday, January 9, 2009

Five on a Friday: Nice Surprises

1. I had been debating whether or not to blog about this particular sweet surprise, not wanting to embarrass a friend, but this is such a delight, that I have to share this with the world.  A couple weeks ago, I came home and found a package at the door. Inside, was this little poppy doll nestled in tissue paper.  

Isn't she the sweetest? (Picture on the left is Poppy exploring my 70-year-old clover--click on the photo to see the detailing.)

Farida surprised me with this handmade flower doll!  She knew poppies were one of my favorite flowers (which I always associated with hope and my sister) and made Poppy for me!  See her inspiration photo on the right.  Thank you so much Farida!  You cannot know what this means so much to me. I am so honored and blessed and will take very good care of Poppy.  And folks, if you want a treat, check out the lion Farida made!

2.  I've been working on my 2009 New Year 30 Day Challenge this week and it's ALL about organizing and decluttering.  Yesterday, I cleaned the mounds of paperwork around my printer, and found a gift card I'd been searching for.  Now I can go to the bookstore!

3.  I tried this new salmon recipe and my family raved.  RAVED.  My husband was suspect of how the salmon looked.  Pale pink salmon without the nice crisp edges from my regular method of broiling.  Reluctance spread across his face; change is hard for my man.  But, my kids were enthusiastic about this meal and my husband took a bite.  And another.  And declared his surprise at how good it was.  Emeril, we have a winner!    

4.  David Ezra Stein is one of my favorite illustrators.  Here's his most recent interview over at 7-Imp.  I discovered David's work when I interviewed him last year to highlight his artwork for the Robert's Snow Auction.  I bid on his lion snowflake and won!  Now I can add an autographed copy of his latest creation, THE NICE BOOK to my collection. Thank you, David!.  This sweet book will get the kids talking about what's nice...and what isn't.   

Case in point.  Middle child was reading the book and youngest reached over to grab it.  Middle child whisked the book away and was ready to smack little one with it.  Little one ran off, put her hands at her waist and said, "That's not nice!"  Middle one hestitated.  "I know."  She looked at the book, looked at her sister and sat down on the rug.  "Come sit here and I'll read the book to you."

If that's not nice, I don't know what is.  Go get the book!

5.  I pick up my kids from school every day.  Sometimes they've had a bad day and it takes awhile to draw out what happened.  This week, they couldn't wait to tell me what was going on at school and we had such a great time talking about the day's events.  That made me so happy.

Have a great weekend!    


Sara said...

All of these were fun to read, and I'm clipping that salmon recipe!!

P.S. Look how those mouse ears resemble hearts on The Nice Book---no wonder your daughters fell under its loving spell.

Vivian said...

The salmon recipe was so good. You're going to love it!

And your powers of observation are excellent. I didn't notice the mouse years...so sweet!

Beth Kephart said...

I new that was Farida! I knew it. How adorable.

You are always so ahead of me, Vivian, with life and recipes.

(and I know that I've backslipped on my embedded blog postings; will return to all you've taught me once these work pressures clear a bit.

beth said...

Aw! The poppy doll is so cute! I'm sure that just made your day!!

egretsnest said...

Vivian, that poppy doll is beyond adorable.

I find sometimes that my kids didn't so much have a bad day at school but that they are very tired and hungry and can't focus on anything but the bad things. (hmmm, that just gave me a writing idea.) Anyway, sometimes snacks and quiet give the bad stuff a chance to recede and more positive stuff to come forward.

But, I know what you mean about how lightening it is when they have had a good day and are happy at the end of school.

jama said...

What an uplifting post! Yummy salmon (which I'm definitely going to try), plus that Poppy doll. SOOO adorable. And so lovely how your kids were eager to share good things from their day. :)

lanna-lovely said...

Aww, the Poppy doll is so cute (and you're actually one of the first people I've seen who has poppies as one of their favourite flowers, I like that -- daisies are my favourite). :)


beckylevine said...

Poppy is beautiful! Thanks for the reminder about the challenge, too. Good for you getting so much done.

PJ Hoover said...

What a wonderful week! I love the poppy doll. How thoughtful!