Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 New Year 30 Day Challenge Starts Today!

Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
-Samuel Johnson

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
-Confucius

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Okay, you asked for it!  Now, you've got it.  The 2009 New Year 30 Day Challenge starts today!  Right now!

There's nothing like starting off the New Year with optimism and purpose to start a new habit that will give us the strength and the ability to do things no matter what. It's these small steps that will get us determined and motivated to get to the big steps. And I want to help you get there.

I was trying to figure out what I'd like to do in this next 30 days. At first it was going to be writing related, but that goes without saying.  Instead, mine is going to be all about ORGANIZATION.  Which I sorely need.

And if I want 2009 to be the best year ever, I need to get a serious handle on organization...like paperwork, cleaning out closets, getting rid of clutter.  So, every day, I need to do something that will get me ahead in the organization game.

What about you?

I really hope you'll join me in this 2009 New Year 30-Day Challenge. It's always more fun when other people are motivated and encouraged to go on an adventure. So, here are the rules...

2009 New Year 30 Day Challenge Rules:
1. The Challenge starts today! Write a quick comment below. Tell me what new habit you'd like to work on. This can be as short as one sentence or as long as you'd like. 

2. If you're going the distance for this 30 Day Challenge, it's important to check in every week via comment with a very quick report on your progress. I find accountability works wonders to keep me on track. So I'm hoping it will do the same for you. Only those who are accountable to their goals and report in every week will be considered for the grand prize.
The 5 dates to check in are:
Today, Monday, January 5th (first day of challenge): Be specific on what you'd like to do to work on your new habit.
Monday, January 12th
Monday, January 19th
Monday, January 26th
Monday, February 2nd (last check in day for simplicity's sake)
But...if you're really committed to go to 30 days, check in again on Wednesday, February 4th--the official end date

3. The winner will be announced on Friday, February 6th.  I'm not sure about what the prize will be yet, but will let you know as soon as I have it figured out.

I hope you're ready to join in and have some fun. 

Ready. Set. Go! 

Comment away.  It's going to be a great year!

18 comments:

Christine M said...

I'm in - but I just have to think of a good new habit to work on. I'll be back with another comment when I figure it out.

Jen Robinson said...

I think this is just what I needed, Vivian. I've been needing to get on track with exercising, and this is a good month for me, because I don't (as of now anyway) have any trips scheduled.

So I'm going to give it a try. My challenge will be to ride the exercise bike for at least 45 minutes every day. Going over on one day will not be an excuse for doing less the next day. Though I might take a day or two to work up to the 45 minutes, after 2+ weeks of holiday sloth.

PJ Hoover said...

OK, should I go with the writing one, or the exercise one? Let's make it the exercise one. Either Kung Fu or the ellitical five times a week.
I'm in.

Silver Tomorrow said...

I made organization my resolution a few years ago and it's been one fantastic journey since then. By using the principles put forth by Flylady.net my home has been cleaner, my kids have more structure and my sanity is restored. I highly recommend starting with creating routines. Enjoy!

beckylevine said...

What the heck. Okay, I will get the first half+ of my Critique book revised and off to Writer's Digest. AND (this is the biggie!) I will write SOMETHING on my YA historical. Anything--do you hear me? One paragraph, one scene, even one sentence. (Obviously, I'm shooting low, but hoping it will grow to more in reality).

Thanks!

Karen S. said...

I spent a lot of time cleaning my office at school (I am a principal).
The piles were ridiculous. It was great to walk into my office this morning. I could think more clearly with fewer distractions. I can't tell you how many people stopped in my office today to say how great my office looked.

So my challenge for this month will be to make sure my desktop is cleared of clutter at the end of each day.

I also want to write some each day.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

m. thompson said...

I'm trying to get my website ready to launch. So, yeah, I'm in. Maybe this will be the push I need. Thanks!

Patty P said...

Okay. Since I've gained some weight over the holidays (too much egg nog and way too much sitting) my goal is to do a cardio workout 3 times a week and a weight-lifting session twice a week.
Here I go...starting tomorrow.

Christine M said...

I guess I should have a goal. It's still today, so it's not too late to weigh in. I think, I'm going to follow your lead, Vivian, and deal with clutter. My house is getting away from me. And I don't really need incentive to write. So - tame the clutter monster it is.

victoria thorne said...

You've inspired me (you always do). I'm going to try to write a paragraph or two (non-blog!) on the weekdays. An author I really look up to has been very encouraging, and I love your challenge. Onward.

egretsnest said...

My goal for 2009 is to take a daily walk (long or short). Thanks for giving me some accountability and inspiration in my goal!

Melissa said...

Is it too late to join up? I'd like to work on my eating habits: control my portions, limit my calories and, especially after the holidays, my sugar intake.

Vivian said...

I'm so glad all of you are joining in! And Melissa, welcome to the challenge!

In fact, if anyone else wants to join in today, feel free! The more the merrier!

I'll post a formal list (with links) to everyone in the challenge by tomorrow.

MotherReader said...

I'm in, also with organizing. I've bought a helpful book (though it covers a whole year of tasks), and finally reached my point of fed-upness with this house.

Hopefully having a community to work with will keep me motivated. Thanks.

holly cupala said...

A day late and a dollar short here, but I'd like to - gasp - write 30K words in 30K days. Crazy! But I have to finish this puppy, and soon! I started out a little behind today, so...must...catch...up...

Thanks for the challenge!

Cuppa Jolie said...

All right. I'm in (a little late, but in). I'm working on a couple of projects. I'd like to have a strong handle on a new project and to be back on a roll with my w.i.p. On top of that, I want to keep consistent Office Hours (no fb, email, etc.). Yes!

Cinde said...

Can I join too? I'm a pal of Holly's and I have been doing my own challenge this month on my own (3 pages a day) and am kinda lonely.

Vivian said...

Cinde!
You're in! It's more fun to be in a group challenge than all alone any day.

-------

I'm officially closing off the entries for the big prize, but feel free to follow along with us in this 30 Day Challenge!

Now, get to work!