Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, November 10, 2008

Inspiration Monday: Getting Back on Track

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.  Willing is not enough; we must do.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

-------------------------------------

My children were anxious to play with their friends when they came home from school. 

"Not until you finish your homework,"  I said.  They groaned.  But, they took their folders out of their knapsacks, sat down at the dining room table, and put pencil to paper.  

I was surprised.  There's no school tomorrow since it's Veteran's Day.  I expected an argument, even a staged rebellion.  And yet they sat, heads bent down, working through each problem.  

Mind you, my children don't always listen to me.  Give them a chance to bend the rules, they'll take it.  Homework first?  I never thought the girls would take on this habit.  Especially right after school.  

But, they did.  

And if my little ones can be disciplined enough to get their work done, perhaps I should too...

So, it's time to get rid of my excuses and get back on track and finish my revisions for PB.  I want to send the manuscript out!

What about you?

10 comments:

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

That is inspiring! I hated homework. Absolutely hated it. By the time high school rolled around, I figured out ways to do homework during school (study halls, lunch breaks, etc.) so that I would not be up all night after I got home from school.

Good luck with the revisions! We're all cheering you on.

Mary Lee said...

For me, it's grading papers. The more I think about them, the bigger the stacks grow in my mind. But if I just sit down and get started, it's never that bad and never takes as long as I imagined it would.

Did you see MotherReader's post where she timed herself loading the dishwasher and found out it only took 4 minutes to have a tidy kitchen?

Or, you can do what the word verification says. Pour a stiff one and forget about it all: rumifyzz.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

I get sidetracked so often. The presidential campaign absorbed all my interest in the past two months. Now I have no excuse for not getting back to work on my children's poetry. Maybe you can come to my house and nag me!

jama said...

Thanks for the nudge, Vivian. Thinking about doing something often takes up more time and energy than actually doing it. I don't know why I fall into this trap so often. I've got a PB to revise too. Good luck with yours!!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I have a hard time finding a quiet place to focus. The kids are noisy, my husband wants to talk. I love them all, but I'm looking forward to having the house to myself tomorrow after this boisterous four-day weekend!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Way to go, girls! I'm trying to get disciplined enough now to get work done, and I'm reading my favorite blogs instead. Ah well. I should take a cue from your girls.

Patty P said...

I think the effort you put forth with PB will certainly pay off. You are a beautiful writer and have an intriguing story...who wouldn't want to publish this?

PJ Hoover said...

I've been getting away from actually writing my goals down! I need to get back at it. And PB rocks!

sheila said...

My theory is that young kids thrive on habit. Older kids I don't know about, since I don't have any, but all three of my kids (under 12), even though they may chafe under rules and regulations, seem more secure with them. Even when we're not doing schoolwork my kids will often ask me what we'll be doing next. When I say I don't know, they try to find something for me to choose.

I say exploit that adherence to habit. Like the old Greeks said, it's a good thing (or was that Martha?).

Beth Kephart said...

That Aristotle quote, Vivian?

I use it. I live it. I hope someday to fit myself within the habit of excellence.

b