Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Monday, December 31, 2007

Inspiration Monday: 2008 New Year's 30 Day Challenge Starts Wednesday, January 2nd

I made an announcement yesterday about the 2008 New Year's 30 Day Challenge. Since I won't be posting tomorrow, I'll post the details of the new challenge today. I also decided to post a portion of my original 30 Day Challenge post for today's Inspiration Monday. So, infuse yourself with all this encouragement and think about your dreams...

I've heard somewhere that if you want to develop a new habit, you need to consistently work on it everyday for 21 days. This new habit then becomes automatic by Day 30. Pretty interesting stuff. But...how does it relate to Inspiration Monday?

Well my gifted wonders, with every productive new habit, you'll find more motivation and determination to work toward your dream. And that is what I'd like this Challenge to show you. Your ability to work towards your goal...no matter what. No matter if you've got 100 things to do for the day. No matter if you're down in the dumps. No matter if someone tells you your dream isn't attainable. No matter if you're in a creative funk. No matter if you just don't feel like it. No matter what.

By now, most of you are probably using your Mission Statements as a guideline to reach your dreams. And you're probably finding out by now, that even with the best of intentions and incredible dreams, it's sometimes hard to keep the momentum going. It's easy to let a day or two slide by. It's easy to say that you need to pay attention to life around you and take a break. It's easy to forget the thrill of the intensity of your dreams and goals.

All because you've got these big dreams. And big dreams take big actions. Big sacrifices. Big commitment. Nothing like getting a little bit overwhelmed by all the big things you've got to do to succeed. And we haven't even touched on the fear of failure yet.

Creating a productive new habit won't necessarily take away your fears and worries. But, if carefully implemented and worked on everyday, a productive habit will eventually give you the comfort of a welcome security blanket called Routine. Just a little thing you need to do everyday. Just like waking up every morning and getting out of bed. Brushing your teeth. Enjoying your first cup of coffee or tea. Reading a newspaper. Checking your e-mail. It's a small step that's automatic, easy to do, for just a short time. Everyday. And this new habit will give you the strength and the ability to do things no matter what. It's these small steps that will get you determined and motivated to get to the big steps. Which will get you closer to your goal.

So, what do you think? Are you ready to meet this new challenge? Come along and read the rules:

2008 New Year's 30 Day Challenge Rules:
1. The Challenge starts on Wednesday, January 2, 2008. Write a quick comment in Wednesday's post. Tell me what new habit you'd like to work on. This can be as short as one sentence or as long as you'd like. So start thinking and planning what you're going to do, and how you're going to make it happen.

2. If you're going the distance for this 30 Day Challenge, you need to check in with me every Monday via comment with a very quick report on your progress.

The 6 dates to check in are:
Today or Wednesday, January 2nd (first day of challenge): Specify your goal in either today's comments or Wednesday's comments.
Monday, January 7th
Monday, January 14th
Monday, January 21st
Monday, January 28th
Thursday, January 31st by 11:00 PM EST

Only those who are accountable to their goals and report in every week will be considered for the grand prize.

3. The winner will be announced on Friday, February 1, 2008.

Now, go and enjoy your New Year's Eve. Happy New Year's everyone!


m.thompson said...

I'm glad you reposted this one. A great reminder for the new year.

Happy New Year's!

Becky Levine said...

Hey! This challenge is a great idea, and its the first one that hits the right timing for me. Can I please, please sign up today, since I'll be in the Marin Headlands without Internet on January 2nd? :)

The habit I need to get BACK is that ability to turn on the computer and WRITE. I have a NF project I really need to get refocused on and just get pages done. I have four chapters (short) that I need to get written by the end of the month. I've done this kind of deadline before, and I know I can do it, if I just get back that self-control and discipline.

So...Starting at the LATEST on 1/7 (when vacation travel stops and school starts) I am going to write on the project every day, M-F, for at least three hours, using the Internet only for necessary research on this book. During those three hours, I won't read blogs or the news or go cruising the web at all. I will stay on email, because this project has a co-writer & we have to send questions and answers back & forth.

How's that? Is it concrete enough? Thanks for setting this one up! See you on January 7th!

HipWriterMama said...

M. Thompson,
Glad you liked the post. Happy New Year to you, too!

I'm glad you'll join in. Have a wonderful vacation and see you on January 7th! Happy New Year!

If anyone else wants to post a comment today, to join in and specify your goal for this challenge, comment away!

Barrie said...

Ah....very interesting challenge. Let me think about it. I'm still fine-tuning my resolutions. Happy New Year!!!

Callipygia said...

HWM- Hope you and your family have a very wonderful 2008. I love you!

HipWriterMama said...

Hope you join in! Happy New Year's!

Here's to a great 2008. Hopefully we'll get to plan a trip to see you soon. Love you! Happy New Year!

Ms. Mize said...

My challenge is going to be refreshing my U.S. History. I have a book that has 24 hour long sessions. I am also going to memorize the Presidents and Vice Presidents because I never had to when I was younger.I have a book about the Presidents, as well. I am going to work on the memorization part first and then start on the other book.

Happy New Year! I hope 2008 is you and your family's best year yet!