Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

Poetry Friday Roundup is Here!

Okay, everyone. Poetry Friday Roundup is here! I've got Mr. Linky down below. So leave a comment with your link. I'll be adding submissions to the Roundup throughout the day -- so do not despair! Add your post, hang out with me for awhile, and check out everyone's submissions. You'll be so glad you did.

If you're new to Poetry Friday, and wonder whether or not you can participate...the answer is a resounding Yes! For detailed information on what Poetry Friday is all about, check out Chicken Spaghetti's most excellent explanation.

And for anyone who may have missed this very important appeal to bloggers, please visit 7-Imp to find out how you can help spread the word and highlight some phenemomenal children's book illustrators who graciously donated their talents in creating some eye-popping snowflakes for the Robert's Snow:Cure for Cancer Snowflake Auction.



Take me out to the ballgame...Kelly Fineman is in with a book review of Baseball Haiku: The Best Haiku Ever Written About the Game.

Fall is fast approaching...Kira shares a little Robert Frost.

MsMac is in with Gary Soto's Ode to My Library.

Suzanne is in with some sheer unmitigated silliness and some John Baillie.

Apparently, this poem was meant for my family. Michele is in with some Roald Dahl and Television.

When a brown truck drives up to your home, do you run to the door with a huge smile on your face? If so, read Mary Lee's post: Why I Have a Crush on You, UPS Man by Alice N. Persons.

"When thoughts of young John Lennon and "The French Connection" collide..." Slatts explains the references to this poem in his comments.

Angsty graffiti, finding brilliance and keeping poetry. Thanks, Sara Lewis Holmes.

Tricia is in with an original poem about the Rainy Day Blues.

Laura Salas wrote in the comments: Wordy Girls is in with 15 Words or Less poems written in response to a dog pic. Come add your own! Aww...this is a great picture to express in 15 words or less.

John Mutford is in with a classic poem, "My Papa's Waltz" by Theodore Roethke.

A stunning book cover...Jama Rattigan shares "Boss of Food" by Lois-Ann Yamanaka.

Literacy Teacher is dreamin' about sunny, warm California.

Here's an amusing analysis about a preachy, preposterous Old (Sunday) School rhyme from "Bee" Happy. Thank you, Sam Riddleburger. Great header on your blog, by the way.

Karen Edmisten is in with a poem about the changing weather by Robert Finch.

The Old Coot (oh my, I feel so irreverent typing in your moniker) is in with a poem for those in a silly mood...Carmen Possum.

Anne Levy is in with "Mrs. Biddlebox: Her Bad Day ... and What She Did About it!"for some witchy fun.

Oh, to be back at the beach! Cloudscome has a great poem, "Jetty" by Andromeda Jazmon.

Elaine Magliaro shares a lovely poem she wrote for Grace Lin's husband, Robert Mercer, in honor of their plans for the first Robert's Snow.

Crispus Attucks shares a poem, "Freedom's Plow" by Langston Hughes. Powerful stuff.

Semicolon is in with Indwelling by T.E. Brown.

What is an onion? AmoXcalli shares the Spanish and English version of Pablo Neruda's beautiful poem, Oda a la cebolla/Ode to an Onion.

Cuentecitos is in with Rafael Guillen's El Cafetal and a video on Aztec dancing and Mexican Independence Day.

TadMack shares an imaginative poem called "Sunflakes" by Frank Asch.

The Simple and the Ordinary is in with a lovely poem, "Evensong" by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Liz Garton Scanlon has a cool poem, "Baby Doll Dress" by Lorna Dee Cervantes.

Melissa Wiley is in with "The Solitary Reaper" by William Wordsworth and a passage from his sister Dorothy's journal about the inspiration for the poem.

Charlotte is in with a little Ted Hughes.

Alkelda the Gleeful shares "Bric-a-Brac" by Dorothy Parker.

"I'm checking in with the prog rock stylings of Vonnegut this week," writes David Elzey in the comments. "Nice, Nice, Very Nice."

Oooo, another library poem! Becky shares "At the Library" by Nikki Grimes.

"Some Things Don't Make Any Sense At All." Thanks Susan for sharing some Judith Voirst.

Busy days and lots of cooking over at Becky's farm. Oh, it sounds so good and healthful. I'll have some pie and fun limericks.

These poems are for Sylvia's dog and dogs everywhere...

Blog from the Windowsill reviews The Twelve Days of Christmas: a Pinata for the Pinon Tree by Philemon Sturges.

Maureene has some Sneezles and a poem by the same name by A.A. Milne. Feel better!

What do Dylan Thomas, Robert Frost, Shakespeare, Rodney Dangerfield, Charles Bronson, and Porky's II have in common? Oh, this is too fun, Nancy!

Katie has a fun poem, A Fairy Went A-Marketing by Rose Fyleman.

Another sweet fairy poem! Miss Erin shares some Joyce Kilmer.

Summer is Gone. As translated by Kuno Meyer. Thanks, Liz.

Ponies! My kids would find that "A Blessing"--with a capital B. Thanks Eisha for sharing a little James Wright.

Linda Acorn shares Live With Me On Earth Under the Invisible Daylight Moon by Milton James Rhode Acorn.

Little Willow shares A Dancing Girl by Frances Sargent Osgood. Lovely.

Stacey Shubitz shares a holiday celebration poem...Rosh Hashanah by Alicia Ostricker.

World of Wands has a beautiful haiku inspired by the lotus flower from Thailand.

What child wouldn't love a Sugar Plum Tree? Cay Gibson shares this sweet poem by Eugene Field.

Gwenda is in with "No World is Intact" by Alice Notley.

A talented twelve-year-old poet. Thank you, Katied, for sharing Chapters.

Sarah Miller shares In the Land of Words by Eloise Greenfield.

Crystal J. Gillis submits a new set of original poems.


44 comments:

Kelly Fineman said...

I'm in with a book review of Baseball Haiku: The Best Haiku Ever Written About the Game, edited by Cor van den Heuvel and Nanae Tamura, with a handful of examples from the book sprinkled in for good measure.

Thanks for hosting, Vivian!

Kira said...

I've chosen to go classic with Robert Frost ~ as Autumn is on my mind these days . . . Thanks for hosting, Vivian!

:: Suzanne :: said...

I posted something flippant for my official Friday Poetry post and then added something more reverent as a bonus.

Michele said...

In honour of the fact it would have been Roald Dahl's 91st birthday yesterday, I'm in with part of his poem "Television".

Mary Lee said...

Mine is a poem for the UPS man.

Sara said...

For the absent-minded: a post on finding (and keeping) poetry.

Tricia said...

Thanks for rounding us up. I'm in with an original poem called Rainy Day Blues.

laurasalas said...

Wordy Girls is in with 15 Words or Less poems written in response to a dog pic. Come add your own!

Thanks for doing the roundup!

Laura

John Mutford said...

Thanks for hosting.

I'm in with the classic Theodore Roethke poem "My Papa's Waltz."

LiteracyTeacher said...

Thanks for hosting HWM!

Here's the link to my poem:
http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/2007/09/im-dreaming-of-sunny-warm-california.html

jama said...

Hi Vivian,

I'm sharing "Boss of the Food," by Hawaii poet Lois Yamanaka, to add some spice to PF. Thanks for hosting!

SamRiddleburger said...

I'm in with a preachy, preposterous Old (Sunday) School rhyme from "Bee" Happy, complete with illustration of "Buzzy."

Karen E. said...

Thanks for hosting. I'm in with thoughts on the changing season ....

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

I'm in with "Carmen Possum," for those in a silly mood.

Anne L. said...

I'm in with "Mrs. Biddlebox: Her Bad Day ... and What She Did About it!"
for some witchy fun.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

At Wild Rose Reader, I posted a poem entitled "Things to Do If You Want to Be a Snowflake." I wrote it for Grace Lin's husband Robert Mercer when she informed me about their plans for the first Robert's Snow.

Thanks for doing the roundup this week!

Crispus Attucks said...

I'm in with Langston Hughes this week.

Gina MarySol Ruiz said...

I'm in on both AmoXcalli and Cuentesitos with Pablo Neruda's Ode to an Onion and Rafael Guillen's El Cafetal. Along with El Cafetal, there's a little linked info and video on Aztec dancing and Mexican Independence Day.

Thanks so much for hosting this week!

TadMack said...

:) Hi, Vivian, thanks for posting this week. I'm in with an imaginative poem called 'Sunflakes.' Happy Weekend!

Christine M said...

I'm in with a little Robert Louis Stevenson. Thanks for doing the round-up

Liz in Ink said...

Thanks for rounding up, HWM. I'm in with Lorna Dee Cervantes...

Melissa Wiley said...

I'm in with a Wm. Wordsworth poem and a passage from his sister Dorothy's journal about the inspiration for the poem.

Thanks for hosting!

Charlotte said...

I'm in with a Ted Hughes poem, The Shell.

thanks!
Charlotte

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thanks for hosting, HWM! I just posted a Dorothy Parker poem.

david elzey said...

I'm checking in with the prog rock stylings of Vonnegut this week. Thanks for hosting, HWM.

Susan T. said...

Vivian, thank you for doing the roundup.

Chicken Spaghetti is in the house (or is it coop?) with a poem by Judith Viorst.

Becky said...

Thanks for rounding up, HWM!

It's been a busy week, so I'm in with a couple of limericks.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for rounding us up. My post today is in honor of my dog and dogs everywhere!
Sylvia

web said...

Review of The Twelve Days of Christmas: a Pinanta for the Pinon tree.

MaureenE said...

I've got A.A. Milne's "Sneezles."

Nancy said...

I'm in with Dylan Thomas, Robert Frost, Shakespeare, Rodney Dangerfield, Charles Bronson, and Porky's II.

Oh, and I have a contest going that has to do with all the above!

cloudscome said...

Vivian, thanks for hosting this great roundup!

Katie said...

I've got a cute fairy poem over at Pixiepalace!

Thank you so much for doing the round-up!

Liz B said...

I'm in with Summer Is Gone (9th century irish, translation by Kuno Meyer)

eisha said...

Hi, Vivian! 7-Imp is in with a James Wright poem, "A Blessing." It has ponies in it.

LindaBudz said...

Hi, Vivian! I'm trying to get in! My browser keeps crashing when I hit "submit" ... so you've either received a bunch of submissions from me (in which case I apologize) or no submission (in which case I am hoping you can add it for me).

Here is my info:

Name: Linda Acorn
URL:
http://justlikethenut.blogspot.com/2007/09/poetry-friday-mighty-oak-among-poets.html

Thanks! And thanks for hosting!!

HipWriterMama said...

Linda,
I gotcha covered. You're in!

Wow, everyone...you guys are gonna keep me busy wrapping this one up. Thanks for your submissions.

Keep those links coming in!

LindaBudz said...

Yea! Thank you!! You're the hippest!

Stacey from Two Writing Teachers said...

Thank you for hosting. Here's my submission:
http://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/poetry-friday-4/ about Rosh Hashanah, the holiday that just passed.

M.F. Atkins said...

I'm in with a haiku and photo of a lotus from my trip to Thailand this summer.

Marcie
World of Words

katied said...

Sorry for the late post. Here is an amazing poem by a young man comparing his life to a book!

Sarah Miller said...

I'm late (again) but I'm in! Someday I will actually learn the roundup schedule...

Susan said...

Vivian, my word--this has to be the biggest Poetry Friday yet! Thank you for putting it all together. I will be visiting over the next few days to do some reading.

Crystal said...

I've been writing some poems and the ones I like best are the fun lighthearted ones "Winter Looms" and "Weaver of Would" I think the kids would like them:)