Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Friday, June 8, 2007

Poetry Friday Roundup: The Road Not Taken

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is here today! I can't believe I have Mr. Linky up and running. Thank you Cloudscome! Leave your name, the specific url of your poetry post, and add a comment on what your poetry submission is all about. Then kick back and read some wonderful poetry this weekend. Aaaahhh. Are you feeling the relaxation?


NYC Teacher said...

I posted "my" poem at http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/2007/06/poetry-friday.html.

I have often felt like I've taken the road that many have not taken. I use this analogy with my students all of the time. Thank you for reminding us all that it's okay to take the path that's less traveled by.

Happy Poetry Friday!

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Here's mine:


Michele said...

I'm in with a mixture of traditional and modern - and the almost obligatory "Doctor Who" reference !

Michele said...

Thanks for rounding up - sorry should have said that before - I was totally distracted by the two builders who've just walked in whistling !

slatta said...

Here's mine:

Thanks for hosting!

cloudscome said...

I am in with some e.e. cummings and a June rose.

SevenImpossible said...

Hi, Vivian! Thanks for hosting. 7-Imp is in with Janet Wong's book Twist: Yoga Poems.


Dawn said...

I'm in this week with a dinosaur poem. :) Thanks for doing the Round-up!

M.F. Atkins said...

I'm in at World of Words with a review of a novel in verse by Cynthia Rylant.

John Mutford said...

For a very long time I did not want to like Robert Frost. He was so outspoken against free form poetry that I felt my resistance going up to his heavily structured poems. I couldn't hold out forever though, the man had some brilliant poems. I've come to appreciate form and free form.

I'm in this week with my own attempt at a prose poem, entitled "Capelin". I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad. It's still in a draft stage so I could use advice or suggestions.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Vivian!

At Wild Rose Reader, I'm in with the poetry of summer and excerpts from Douglas Florian's SUMMERSAULTS and Rebecca Kai Dotlich's LEMONADE SUN AND OTHER SUMMER POEMS.

Elaine Magliaro said...

At Blue Rose Girls, I have two poems by Li-Young Lee that I posted in memory of my father.

Sherry said...

Thanks for hosting. I'm talking about Frankenstein, opera, Tunisia, and Cherokee Indians in my Poetry Firday post. Buzz over to see what it's all about.

Kimberly/lectitans said...

I've got Sea Fever at http://lectitans.livejournal.com/24237.html.

John Mutford said...

Mine's set in the summer, so I guess I unintentionally kept with the theme!

Kelly Fineman said...

I read The Road Not Taken with my 12-year old last night (among other poems), and she loved it.

I'm in today with Keats: La Belle Dame Sans Merci.

Thanks for hosting!

Christine M said...

I'm in with a little Robert Louis Stevenson.

Tricia said...

Howdy HWM,
I'm in with an original today. Thanks for rounding us up!

Jennie said...

I'm in with some Richard Brautigan.

MyUtopia said...

Ahh...a classic. I used this as part of my graduate thesis.

Elaine Magliaro said...


Just one more post for me today at Wild Rose Reader! I've dedicated a poem I wrote for my daughter to MotherReader and her band of busy readers. Meanwhile...I'm participating in my own personal Wild Rose Reader 48 Hour Poetry Writing Challenge.

:: Suzanne :: said...

Mine is up -- I also posted the coding for the button that links to today's round-up which should make it easy for everyone to include it in their post.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I've always loved that poem. It was one of the first I ever memorized as a child.

Mine is about Heroes.

Nancy said...

Good poem choice HipWriterMama, and thanks for rounding up!

Laura said...

First time here, and I'm delighted to discover this "roundup" of poetry!
Thanks much!

I've got a Gerald Manley Hopkins wonder at my place.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thanks for posting my poetry entry, HWM. I am trying so hard not to peek at blogs, and just read. Still, I just took a walk to pick up some plants because I kept getting interrupted by the girlie.

Charlotte said...

Hi, I'm in with a rather sweet and funny fish poem.


Liz B said...

Thanks for putting this together! I'm in.

Kelly said...


Thanks so much, Vivian, for rounding up!

Sarah Amick said...

I'm new to the poetry round-up. Not sure what I am supposed to do but thought it sounded like fun. Thanks for hosting.
I have two poems, one by Joan Walsh Anglund and one by myself.

Katie said...

Thanks for doing the round-up! I've got a poem from A. A. Milne today.

Bri said...

I posted my friday poem, Summons by Robert Francis. Great set up for the round-up!

cloudscome said...

Yay Vivian! Thanks for hosting on this busy weekend. What a great collection of poetry here.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for the rounding. I'm in with a birthday tribute to Judy Sierra-- who injects humor and folklore into her poetry.

Ruth said...

Thanks for hosting the round up. I love the classic Frost that you posted -- a favorite.

Mine is classic too -- but a bit more juvenile -- good ol' Mother Goose.


Robin said...

Can you tell me where I can get details on Poetry Friday? I've never heard of it before...:/. Thanks :).