Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Friday, June 15, 2007

Poetry Friday: A Happy Father's Day Song

We went to the year end school picnic yesterday. Husband and I really didn't want to go. But we did it for the kids. We first tried to distract them with a night out for dinner. No such luck. Kindergartener and second grader made plans to meet up with friends. They were determined to keep their commitments. "Uh, Dad. Don'tcha always tell us that if we make a promise to do something, we need to keep it?" Case closed. Parents: Zip. Kids: Win.

So we go to this celebration. Found a parking space. Walked up to the school. Middle child saw her friends hanging out on the wall next to where the DJ is entertaining a crowd of young dancing machines. She ran to the wall, settled in quite nicely, and started bopping her head to the music. Apparently the music was too good to keep still. Middle child and friends jumped off the wall, ran to the makeshift dance floor, and boogied away.

By this time, eldest child is hanging out with her pals, talking and laughing away. She's much too involved with her friends to pay much attention to Husband and I. Only youngest child was with us, clinging onto my leg... Until she saw one of her little neighbor friends on the jungle gym. Then, little one grabbed my hand to drag me over to the climbing area so she could play with her friend.

After awhile, Husband nudges me and points to middle child. Her little group took over the entire wall area. Boys and girls. Some of the kids are sitting on the wall, cups of ice cold slushes in hand. A couple children are leaning against the wall, observing the crowd. Then a few, like middle child, are in their own world, dancing away. One of the boys cups his hands around his mouth to yell out to the dancers, "Go! Go! Go!"

Husband had a pained look on his face. "Fast forward this scene to high school and college," he whispered. Gulp. I'm not ready for this. Of course it didn't help that AC/DC's Back in Black was playing in the background. My Husband is definitely not ready for this. Times three.

For all the dads out there, especially my sweet Dad and my dear Husband -- Happy Father's Day! When you have a quiet moment, after playing with the kids, listen to this beautiful song by Bob Carlisle called Butterfly Kisses, via YouTube. This is dedicated to my Dad and especially my Husband, whose little girls give him butterfly kisses on his cheeks with their eyelashes. Lyrics are below.

YouTube video of Bob Carlisle: "Butterfly Kisses"

Butterfly Kisses
Lyrics by Bob Carlisle & Randy Thomas

There's two things I know for sure:
She was sent here from heaven
and she's daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night
She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and
I thank God for all the joy in my life

Oh, but most of all
For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."
In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right
to deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet 16 today
She's looking like her mama a little more everyday
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and make-up from ribbons and curls
Trying her wings out in a great big world.

Click here for the rest of the lyrics
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The Poetry Friday Roundup is over at The Simple and the Ordinary. Go on over, share a poem and discover some new poetry this weekend.


LiteracyTeacher said...

Love the new artwork you posted on your blog's nav!

Christine M said...

This song always chokes me up - Thanks for posting it in honor of great dads everywhere

Jen Barney said...

It is a beautiful song....
I danced with my grandfather at my wedding to this song. WONDERFUL memories....