Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Friday, June 1, 2007

Poetry Friday: The End of School is Near

Children all around the country have summer on their minds. Some children are already out of school, while others are waiting, waiting, waiting for the anticipated Last Day of School. I'm grateful we have 2 1/2 more weeks left of school. It gives me some time to figure out summer activities, summer reading, math refreshers, and good ole summer fun.

I'm not into the full day or overnight summer camps. I hear they're wonderful, but I like to keep my children close by. They're growing so fast, and I don't want to miss a beautiful smile, a boisterous laugh, a funny joke, a special dance, or those incredible hugs and kisses. So, my kids are gonna hang out with me this summer, and they're gonna enjoy it!

I found this poem by Sharon Olds, and just fell in love with it. It is just wonderful.

The Month of June: 13 1/2
by Sharon Olds

As our daughter approaches graduation and
puberty at the same time, at her
own, calm, deliberate, serious rate,
she begins to kick up her heels, jazz out her
hands, thrust out her hipbones, chant
I’m great! I’m great! She feels 8th grade coming
open around her, a chrysalis cracking and
letting her out, it falls behind her and
joins the other husks on the ground,
7th grade, 6th grade, the
magenta rind of 5th grade, the
hard jacket of 4th when she had so much pain,
3rd grade, 2nd, the dim cocoon of
1st grade back there somewhere on the path, and
kindergarten like a strip of thumb-suck blanket
taken from the actual blanket they wrapped her in at birth.


bookbk said...

What are the odds that three of us would choose the same poem? I posted this one too today; it reminds me of my students, and also of my daughter.

HipWriterMama said...

This is too funny. Well, it is a stunning poem. I'm glad you liked this poem too!

Elaine Magliaro said...

I guess one could call us the "Three Poetry Friday Amigos" today! I know I've seen two bloggers post the same poem on Friday--but I don't recall ever seeing three bloggers do it.

Elaine Magliaro said...


My daughter never went away to camp. She had a great time with kids in the neighborhood. We live near a tidal estuary, a waterfront park, some open fields--and there used to be an ice cream stand less than a ten-minute walk from our house. She enjoyed her summers at home! And don't get the impression that we live out in the country--we live in a city that is situated quite close to two large shopping malls.

eisha said...

Wow, I don't blame any of you - this is a great poem. Thanks for sharing!

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Elaine for those reassuring words. It sounds absolutely beautiful where you live.

- - - -

Eisha, I'm glad you like the poem.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I'm just loving all of these summer poems that are cropping up like cosmos everywhere. I think that, as far as seasonal poems go, summer poetry is emerging as my favorite.

Liz in Ink said...

Yes, this is soooo heart grabby. I can see why y'all echoed each other x3.

Kimberly/lectitans said...

What a lovely poem! I think most of my childhood summers were spent with my parents, though I did do the occasional daycamp. Mostly, though, I would pick up about 30 books from the library and take them back a few days later, eager for more.

I finally answered your question from your last Poetry Friday post. Sorry for the delay!

HipWriterMama said...

I love the "cropping up like cosmos everywhere." Which reminds me, I better start sprinkling some cosmos seeds.

- - - -

I know. Definitely "heart grabby." Isn't this poem great?

- - - -

You're a girl after my own heart. I checked out stacks of books from the library when I was a young girl. I'm not sure my parents understood this obsession, but they always took me to the library. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Callipygia said...

I love this poem- it so perfectly captures the unveiling of a unique individual, birthed out of a parent's love!

Emmaco said...

I'm sure your children will have a fantastic summer. We don't have organised camps here (or at least, they aren't very common) and yet my sisters, friends and I all have wonderful memories of childhood summers. A long lovely stretch of unstructured time to play and grow.

I love that poem - thanks for the link!

Kimberly/lectitans said...

Just wanted to let you know that, since I couldn't find one already there, I set up a feed for your Blogspot blog at LJ:


HipWriterMama said...

Isn't this poem wonderful? It just spoke to me big time.

- - -

I'm glad you and your sisters had wonderful summers together. Yes, I thinking footloose and fancy free with some swimming, day trips to the zoo, some nature trails, the library. I'd also like to take the girls to some historical places around the Boston area and up to New Hampshire. So I think we'll have plenty to do.

HipWriterMama said...

That is so incredibly kind. Thank you. Thank you so much.

I know. I've been horribly negligent about updating my LiveJournal. And I couldn't figure out how to put a feed together for LJ or how to easily tranfer my blog posts into LJ.

I so appreciate the time you took to do this for me. Thank you!

MyUtopia said...

Cool poem!

Emmaco said...

Thanks for setting the feed up, Kimberly! I went through a very productive stage of setting up feeds and then lost steam.

cloudscome said...

I loved this poem too. Our eight graders are graduating this week and I just had to pass this poem on to all the teachers.

My oldest son didn't go to sleep away camp much either, and not until he was about 13 or 14 for a week or two. I love spending summer with my kids!

I need to learn how to set up a feed with LJ. I have an account there (cloudscome of course) but I don't know how to transfere blog posts. Can anyone help me?

nowheymama said...

Oh, how I love Sharon Olds. Thanks for this!