Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Thursday, June 14, 2007

Personal Policies Meme

So, I've been tagged by Christine M. of The Simple and the Ordinary for a Personal Policies Meme. After I discovered this last night, I thought about it and was in a total quandry. I had no idea what I was going to write. Because I read Christine's meme, and the meme of the person who tagged her, and the person who tagged her, and I was a bit overwhelmed. I mean, these people are so kind, organized, and admirable, what in the world could I write about that wouldn't sound, well, that wouldn't sound silly and plain weird?

Oh well, since this seems to be a flexible meme with no written rules, anything goes. Right? So, I'll give three. It sounds like a doable number without having to reach too deep within my brain cells. And I'll tag some cool new people I've had the pleasure to meet via blogging: Kimberly/Lectitans, My Utopia, Barbara Johansen Newman, Emma, Holly, NYC Teacher, Ruth, and Sarah. Any other takers?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1. I write first thing in the morning and in the evening, as soon as the kids are asleep. Before I go to bed, I read.

2. Even though my house is usually in a state of what my husband refers to as a Cluster F@&#, I won't hire a housecleaner. I'd have to straighten up ahead of time, and if I do that, I might as well clean the house myself. My house is actually clean, it's the clutter that has accumulated that makes the house look so unkempt. I working on it. Truly.

3. It is chaotic in my household every school day. It doesn't matter whether the girls are up 2 hours or a half hour before school starts. The screaming, the fighting, the showers, the searching for the perfect outfit to wear (even though it was chosen the night before), the whining about the breakfast, the whining after a quick snack and lunch box inspection...it's the same thing. Every, every day. Nothing like entering a Groundhog Day time warp.

But no matter what, the last thing my girls and I do before they go off to school, or for that matter anywhere without me, is this: I always give them a hug, kiss, and quick caress of their sweet little faces, wish them a good day and confirm where I am going to meet them at the end of the school day or wherever they are. I drink in the love from their precious eyes and the glow from their amazing faces and make sure they know how much I love them. I've done this ever since my oldest started preschool.

I finally realized this morning that my girls cherish this little routine just as much as I do. After a totally crazy morning, where I was trying to hurry 8 year old along and commenting on her clothes selection -- 8 year old spent forever brushing her hair and changed her clothes 3 times -- she snapped at me in total frustration. "Mom! Leave me alone! You don't understand anything! The clothes you chose for me make me look like a baby! Everyone is going to tease me and ask me why I'm all dressed up! I'm going to wear what I want to wear!" She stomped out of the house without saying goodbye.

I was stunned. Here's 8 year old morphing into a teenager right before my eyes, not needing me at all. And in the background, I hear 6 year old asking why 8 year old left without her kiss. Complete emptiness. I decided to go after 8 year old. Suddenly, the front door bangs and I see 8 year old peek into the kitchen doorway. She had a sheepish grin and walked up to me for her kiss. I savored this incredible moment and hugged her, a tad bit longer than usual. She gave me a happy sigh and we held hands until we reached the door. Complete and whole. This still doesn't change the fact my little girl is growing up. I don't know how much longer my 8 year old will look forward to this little routine, but I know I will cherish each moment she will let me in. Each. Precious. Moment.


Kimberly/lectitans said...

I'm going to have to think about this one. Thanks for the links in the Wednesday Wanderings post!

Congratulations, you won a thinking blogger award!

Should you choose to participate, please make sure you pass this list of rules to the blogs you are tagging. I thought it would be appropriate to include them with the meme.

The participation rules are simple:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote.

PJ Hoover said...

This story brought tears to my eyes! You captured so perfectly how they are growing up, but still need us. I want to be needed by my kids because I need them :)

Christine M said...

That was so sweet!

Kimberly/lectitans said...

P. S. I'm 25, and I still kiss my parents goodbye.

cloudscome said...

This broght me to tears too. I have been feeling so bad about our chaotic rush in the morning. But before I leave my little ones at the daycare they always come to the door with me and we have a huge hug. I hold their sweet faces next to mine and we say our words... I treasure those seconds and they won't let me leave without them.

I am encouraged to hear someone else always has a rough patch and still shares the love before saying goodbye. Thanks for this.

Sarah Amick said...

Oh, my house is so like this in the morning. I argue with my 4 year old every morning regarding breakfast. My oldest just want to sit and write during breakfast, "we don't have time for that!" Getting out of the van though we connect and I just look deeply at them and apologize for losing my temper about the breakfast thing and send them on their day. My love goes with them. It is a precious time, one waning, I can see in the distant future. Thank you for bringing this image to my mind. I will do the meme but I will have to think for a moment I am sure.

Sarah Amick said...

writer mama, my policies are up and there to view. It was great to be reflective. thanks.

Ruth said...

okay -- so i'm wiping back the tears. thanks so much for sharing.

Emmaco said...

A lovely list :)

Thanks for the tag! I'm having serious trouble thinking about anything except my job applications/interviews and looming PhD duedate but I will try to think about this on the weekend - it sounds like fun!

Robin Brande said...

How incredibly lovely. Thank you for sharing a story that's obviously lifting all of us.

LiteracyTeacher said...

I'm writing my policies right now.

On that note, I love that your 8 year old came back for a kiss. She's still your little baby!

emmaco said...

I finally got around to answering...with one policy I'm afraid!

Holly Doe said...

Thanks for the tag. I completed my personal policies which are centered around my kids.