Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Monday, June 11, 2007

Inspiration Monday: One More Week

The future depends on what we do in the present.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Good habits are worth being fanatical about.
-John Irving

This is exciting. We've passed the 21 Day mark where habits, if done for 21 Days straight, turn from something you have to do out of concentrated effort, to an easy, effortless part of your daily life. I thought it would be a good idea, for me anyway, to make certain there's no falling off the wagon, by extending this 21 days into 30 days. Thus, the 30 Day Challenge. Nothing like getting it out there in the most public of ways and getting other people to join in this quest for the Dream.

I'm not the most structured person and it's taken me quite a few years to finally realize that if I want to reach my goals, I've gotta add a little more structure to my daily routine. Gulp. You'd think I'd be more organized with 3 kids, a husband who works out of the house, and working part time for husband. But that's exactly why things for me really just fell by the wayside.

And that's exactly why, I realized early last year I needed to take the bull by the horns and make the time for writing and my dreams. Because it would never happen on its own. I needed to do something about it. So I picked up all my manuscripts from a forgotten file, and started writing again. With practice, comes confidence, and I finally decided to start blogging in December of last year. My special present to myself.

Who ever thought, by virtue of technical wizardry, that I would meet amazing people all around the world, who are supportive, encouraging, and talented with the love of all things books? Warm, kind, generous people who give of themselves and their knowledge to help other people? Fun, light hearted people who make a bad day melt away with each laugh out loud moment? Intelligent, thought provoking people who give me something to think about?

It's because of all of you, my blog friends, that make me want to share my adventures and struggles with writing. In the hopes that maybe I can inspire some of you to do something now, toward your own dreams, rather than waiting for the right time years from now. Because if you really think about it, is there ever the perfect right time? Create your own right time, right now, and we can journey together.

So, let me share what happened this past week. I did pretty well. Though I did give myself a break yesterday. I submitted a few chapters to my on-line critique group last Monday and received some important feedback throughout the week. It got me thinking and editing away.

I have to admit, I was nervous about this critique process. This is the first time I've joined a critique group and let other people see my work. But nervousness aside, I'm thrilled with how this critique process is working. Constructive feedback and helpful advice. Encouraging words. Incentive to keep reworking manuscript. This is great stuff.

There's one more week left in the 30 Day Challenge. You are almost there! The 30th day is next Tuesday, June 19th. I'll give you all until 11:00pm EST next Tuesday to let me know how you did.

So...How did you do?


cloudscome said...

*sigh* What a great, inspiring post. I am so proud of you! And so happy to have blog friends like you.

I did terrible this week. It was the last week of school with all that craziness. I had two baby sweaters to finish knitting before all the teachers went on summer break. And the weekend was the 48 hour book challenge.

I did NOTHING with my good habit 30 day challenge. Sheesh. So much for setting the pattern for the future!

I'll get back on the wagon tonight.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

You're right, there is never a perfect time for anything... except maybe in retrospect. Last week's challenge was okay. I did a lot of walking, even if it was only in my back-yard, hauling dirt and such. I am getting a little stir-crazy with this potty-training thing, as you know, and miss taking walks with my daughter, but I do get out on my own, too.

HipWriterMama said...

I keep telling myself I'm going to learn how to knit one day. I mean I can do basic purl stitches, but the thought of being able to create something that someone would seriously want to wear has me yearning. I'm so impressed.

I know you'll get back into the groove. You've already done some wonderful stuff, so it should be easy to get back into it. Good luck!

- - - -

This potty training thing will be over sooner than you know it. I know it's challenging, especially the being stuck in the house part. But I'm glad you're still getting your exercise in. Keep your eye on the prize.

daphne grab said...

i think it's terrific that you are doing this and i also wanted to give you kudos for doing the on-line crit group. i think it takes real courage to accept critique from people but i truly believe it's essential for improving and growing as a writer- everything i write is so much better because of the crit i get from my fab girls of the longstockings. it's a gift to have in your life and i'm glad you have it!

MyUtopia said...

Congrats on your successes!

B. Johansen Newman said...

Vivian, when I see you on Saturday at the party, let me tell you the story behind my first book (as author), and how it sat in a drawer for 17 years while I was busy with...what else..three kids...among other things. Finally I pulled it out and made a committment to kids' books again. Twenty-two years from when I first penned it to the sale of the ms.....

NEVER give up on the dream --and, oddly enough, that is what the book ended up being about.

Liz in Ink said...

Vivian -- Here's my status: I'm starting over. I was crazy to think I would write every day with four extra folks in our house and all the mayhem associated therewith. So. I'm taking your 30 Day Challenge AGAIN. How's about that? I started yesterday and so far so good :)

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Daphne,
I am still so in awe of your beautiful book cover. I can't wait until your book is released!

- - - -

My Utopia,
Thank you.

- - - -

I'm going to hold you to telling me the story!

- - - -

I'm so glad you're back! I missed your posts. Hope you had fun with your sister and crew. Wow, I'm impressed, you're starting the challenge again? This is TRUE commitment.

Okay, tell you what. I'll keep you accountable. Hmmm, you started yesterday, so the 30 Days ends on Wednesday, July 11th. I'll keep checking in with you and cheering you on via e-mail when you least expect it. I'm so proud of you!

Liz in Ink said...

You're sweet to be proud, but honestly, it's a little lame isn't it? Like sitting on base when you're playing tag? Calling "do-overs"??? JULY 11th it is.

HipWriterMama said...

Nothing wrong with a do-over. Particularly if you're doing it for the greater good of your well being. Wahoo!

Shawn said...

Sorry I"m so late in responding ... goodness I have brain mush this week. I wrapped up all freelance work last Friday, well sort of. Now I'm in the editing phase. Mundane. Mundane.

But, the result is that I have definitely gotten more me time in as priority. Read a book, went to book club, napped a couple times, etc.

I can't believe we're almost through.