Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Another Great Book for Boys: Jonathan Swift's Gulliver

When I was in middle school, I owned a handful of books, which I treasured and read over and over again until the binding cracked, the books split apart, pages fell out and were taped back in. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift, was one of those special books. How I loved this book. I really enjoyed the extraordinary adventures, the political satire, and the different people and customs found along the way.

So when I discovered Jonathon Swift's Gulliver, by Martin Jenkins in the library a couple days ago, I had to pick it up. Young readers, ages 8 and up, will be able to appreciate the comic situations poor Gulliver finds himself. What youngster wouldn't laugh out loud at the thought of a giant Gulliver in the land of tiny Lilliputians, peeing on a castle fire to put it out? Or the tiny Lilliputians laughing because they can see Gulliver's underwear?

The illustrations by Chris Riddell, British artist and Kate Greenaway medalist, are simply magnificent. The colorful illustrations capture the humor of Gulliver's interesting predicaments.

While I think some girls may enjoy this book, boys will definitely appreciate this wonderful adaptation of the original Gulliver's Travels.

No comments: