Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Oh Magic Ball, What's In My Future?

This morning, my 3 and 6 year old amused themselves by taking things out of the front hall closet. My next Project CON experiment. They were giggling as they tried on my shoes, clicking and clunking back and forth, modeling each carefully selected heel. Then suddenly....silence. Just for a minute.
Then. Boom!! Rooollll. Clunkety, thump. What in the world? I quickly ran into the hallway and see my creative girls in high heels, bowling with my Magic 8-Ball. Bowling.

An old mentor of mine, from my days in the HR strategic consulting world, gifted me this Magic 8-Ball to give me a lighthearted release from the multitude of stressful business decisions that swooped in daily. And of course, when not thinking about work, it was always interesting to find out the answer to -- Will I ever find Mr. Right? This Magic 8-Ball was so much better than pulling out flower petals and chanting "He loves me, He loves me not."

Needless to say, I put a quick stop to the bowling and showed the girls what the Magic 8-Ball was all about. They were delighted and asked all sorts of fun questions.

Some questions they asked:
6 year old: "Will I be a cheerleader?" (Aaargh!)
Answer: "You may rely on it."

3 year old: "Can my friend come over to play?"
Answer: "Most likely."

6 year old: "Will 8 year old win a prize in the talent show?"
Answer: "Better not tell you now." (Uh-oh...I can see 6 year old telling 8 year old this in the near future)

3 year old: "Can we have a dog?"
Answer: "Most likely."

Enthusiastic 6 year old: "Will we get a dog soon?'
Answer: "Reply hazy, try again."

Impatient 6 year old: "Will we get a dog soon?"
Answer: "Outlook good."

So of course, I then had to calm down these joyous little girls and have a careful conversation about how this was just a fun game and how this doesn't really tell what will happen in the future.

But then, 6 year old had to ask this question: "Will I look like my mom when I grow up?"
Answer: "It is decidely so."

6 year old flashed a big grin at me, did a happy dance, then ran over to give me a big hug. Well...maybe this one will come true. A priceless, priceless moment.


Robin Brande said...

Oh, my gosh, how SWEET! That last thing you described must have made your day.

PJ Hoover said...

I love moments like this. My little princess likes to put on makeup and do her hair - just like mom.
About a year ago, my son realized that he can't marry me though.

Bowling and the magic 8 ball - I think I'll keep this idea to myself.

Liz in Ink said...

Gulp. Wasn't expecting the little tear-jerker moment at the end there. Ain't we lucky ducks?

HipWriterMama said...

It did make my day. Something to fondly remember when these kids are teenagers.


Yes, and also keep the Magic 8 ball away from windows, stacked up toys, wood floors and table legs.


We are sure lucky. Just one little thing like this makes everything worth it and gives me the much needed sustenance to survive the crazy stuff.

Monkey Wrangler said...

Ahhhhh! I just love those moments. Ain't it nice, looking forward to looking back on something? Or another way, having a premonition about a future reminiscence. I just love life and kids. Thanks for sharing.

HipWriterMama said...

Monkey Wrangler,
Glad you stopped by. Hope things are going well.

Callipygia said...

Beautiful and sweet, thanks for sharing.

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Callipygia!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Argh! I can't believe I missed this post when it came out. Where was I? Distracted, most likely. Anyway, I love it. I've got to say, my brothers asked far ruder questions than your lovely offspring. (Stuff along the lines of "Will youngest sibling show his underwear in public and say to everyone, 'I like girrrrrls' while wearing lipstick and pink socks?' Then youngest sibling would pummel middle sibling.)