Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Need Artist/Artwork Suggestions


I'm looking for a nice picture to place above my fireplace in my livingroom. I already have a beautiful burnished gold frame...I just need another picture to place in it. The old picture has got to go. It reminds my husband too much of the pictures in the nursing home his mother had to stay in.



Here are the requirements:

1. The artwork needs to be about 36"Width x 24"Height.

2. I love color -- vibrant oranges, reds, greens, yellows, blues...

3. I'm not so concerned as to the time period of the artist as I am the visual effect of the artwork.

4. I want a relaxing livingroom. No photos, animal pictures, war pictures, blood pouring out of crevices, skulls, gore or anything else I wouldn't want my children or my mother to question.


5. My living room has muted cream yellow walls, the brick fireplace is against a dark wood panelled wall. Think library. Think relaxing.

Although I'm not sure when I'll ever achieve this look. Right now this room acts as tv room, romper room and dance room. [I just cleaned my livingroom for the express purpose of taking pictures...look closely at my sofa and see a rip on the seat cushion cover. One of the many reasons why I need a new sofa.]

Any suggestions of artists and title of artwork? I've already looked at a gazillion posters on Art.com, and am getting delirious. Have already tried the old standbys--Matisse, Degas, Renoir, Picasso, Monet, Chagall and Van Gogh. I like this and this one, but, there isn't a whole lot of color to them. This room is a bit dark, so I need the splashes of color to liven up this space. There's also this bit of art, but I know my husband will hate it.

So, tell me. What artist do you like?

10 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

You know, I used to go with the old standbys also, then one day realized I couldn't stand to look at them (aside from Picasso whom I still like). I had a Renoir over my bed and almost put it in the garbage because I'd had it for so long.
This may or may not be your style, but my new favorite artist is Michael Whelan.

Here are some I got:
Sentinels
Passage The Avatar

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Your favorite ALA READ poster?

As you can tell, I'm not very good at this sort of thing.

Kelly said...

I love Cezanne most of all. But I also love David Hockney.

Good luck!!

HipWriterMama said...

Okay everyone, I finally cleaned up my livingroom, took pictures, and figured out how to load the pictures here. Major accomplishment!

Great suggestions...keep them coming!

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
I can't believe I didn't think about Cezanne or Hockney. Thanks for the suggestions.
_______

Alkelda,
Great suggestion. One of these days, I'm planning on fixing up my basement into a play area for the kids/library/work area for me. I'd love artwork like the ALA Read posters on the wall.
_______

Tricia,
I just checked out Michael Whelan's website. I can see why you like his artwork. It must be an amazing inspiration for your writing. I'll keep his artwork in mind for when I fix up the kids' and my work area. Great suggestion!

Callipygia said...

Hip- I like the Kadinsky painting! You know your room seems like it could be work well with the arts and crafts style. I am wondering about an image that is just from the textiles. Google Charles Rennie Macintosh...

HipWriterMama said...

Callipygia,
Why is it that architects are so versatile? They can design buildings or furniture, draw, paint, design textiles, design jewelry, design tableware...the opportunities are endless. Beautiful stuff. Thanks.

nowheymama said...

Is there a college or art school near you where you can buy art by struggling artists/students? They're usually pretty inexpensive, and then you have an original piece, or pieces.

Little Willow said...

My favorite painting is Midsummer's Eve by Edward Robert Hughes:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/38/028_3508_a.jpg

Degas, whom you mentioned earlier, captures one of my favorite things - dance - so I enjoy his paintings as well.

Have you thought about doing a photograph or a poster instead of a painting? I had a friend whose living room had large framed movie posters - say, 5 of them - all the same size but different genres and times, all favorites of the couple, all with a splash of color that matched their walls. (They benefitted from brightly colored walls.)

Becky Levine said...

I love David Hockney's photo collages--not so much his paintings.

Also, Wayne Thiebaud's landscapes, if you can call them that.

Joan Miro, but I'd have to be very picky which one I put up for long-term.