Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, May 14, 2007

Inspiration Monday: Create New Habits for Success: 30 Day Challenge

Hey, did I get your attention? A 30 Day Challenge? Is this for real? Only if you want to go the distance with me. The fabulous 3 prize combination package -- 1. A productive new habit for you; 2. Increased motivation to reach your goal; and 3. A $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble (accepted at stores and on-line). Tempting, isn't it?

I've heard somewhere that if you want to develop a new habit, you need to consistently work on it everyday for 21 days. This new habit then becomes automatic by day 30. Pretty interesting stuff. But...how does it relate to Inspiration Monday?

Well my gifted wonders, with every productive new habit, you'll find more motivation and determination to work toward your dream. And that is what I'd like this Challenge to show you. Your ability to work towards your goal no matter what. No matter if you've got 100 things to do for the day. No matter if you're down in the dumps. No matter if someone tells you your dream isn't attainable. No matter if you're in a creative funk. No matter if you just don't feel like it. No matter what.

By now, most of you are probably using your Mission Statements as a guideline to reach your dreams. And you're probably finding out by now, that even with the best of intentions and incredible dreams, it's sometimes hard to keep the momentum going. It's easy to let a day or two slide by. It's easy to say that you need to pay attention to life around you and take a break. It's easy to forget the thrill of the intensity of your dreams and goals.

All because you've got these big dreams. And big dreams take big actions. Big sacrifices. Big commitment. Nothing like getting a little bit overwhelmed by all the big things you've got to do to succeed. And we haven't even touched on the fear of failure yet.

Creating a productive new habit won't necessarily take away your fears and worries. But, if carefully implemented and worked on everyday, a productive habit will eventually give you the comfort of a welcome security blanket called Routine. Just a little thing you need to do everyday. Just like waking up every morning and getting out of bed. Brushing your teeth. Enjoying your first cup of coffee or tea. Reading a newspaper. Checking your e-mail. It's a small step that's automatic, easy to do, for just a short time. Everyday. And this new habit will give you the strength and the ability to do things no matter what. It's these small steps that will get you determined and motivated to get to the big steps. Which will get you closer to your goal.

So what do you think? Are you ready to meet this new challenge? Hmm. Do I sense some hesitation? Okay, if commitment makes you a bit woozy, why not work on an abbreviated 7 Day Challenge, just to get your motivation up and running. The motivating prize package -- 1. A quick taste of how this new habit will work for you; 2. Motivation to work on the 30 day Challenge; and 3. a paperback copy of The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield.

So do you have the picture? Two challenges, two different prize packages. So, come along and read the rules:

Challenge Rules:
1. Write a quick comment, e-mail me at hipwritermama@comcast.net but comment first so I know who you are when I get your e-mail, or write a post and link here. Tell me what new habit you'd like to work on and which challenge you'll work on. You can work on both challenges, but for prize consideration, Only One Challenge Per Person. Just to give everyone a fair chance.

2. Both challenges will start next Monday, May 21st. So start thinking and planning what you're going to do, and how you're going to make it happen.

3. If you're up for the 7 Day Challenge, let me know Monday, May 21st. Then write back by 11:00 PM EST Sunday, May 27th, and let me know how you did. I'll announce the winner on Monday, May 28th.

4. If you're going the distance for the 30 Day Challenge, check in with me every Monday (via comment, e-mail or post) with a very quick report on your progress. The 5 dates to check in are May 21st (first day), May 28th, June 4th, June 11th, with the final check in on the 30th day -- Tuesday, June 19th by 11:00 PM EST. I'll announce the winner on Wednesday, June 20th.

And for those of you who are wondering why I've worked the 30 day challenge around these random dates, instead of starting the first of the month, I thought it would be easier for me if the challenge was spread out in two months. So even though I'm working on my new habit for 30 days, visually I'll notice 2 different months on my calendar. Then I'll get psyched because my mind is thinking 2 months...wahoo!...I can do this. So there.

By the way, my new habit I'm working on for 30 days is giving myself 30 minutes of walking time everyday with recorder in hand to think about my plot and character development. Nothing like a little multi-tasking. Some exercise and creative brainstorming in one fell swoop. What's not to love?

So okay everyone? The challenge starts next week. Start planning!

12 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I'm thinking. I'm thinking. Must figure out a good habit to develop.
Maybe something kid related. Oh, or laundrey or cleaning related. Fold laundrey when it comes out of dryer? Too boring.
I'm still thinking.

:: Suzanne :: said...

I'm going to spend 30 minutes a day with my manuscript.

Thanks for the challenge.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I need to do the 30 minutes of exercise every day. My exercise has been sporadic. Today, I did 20 minutes of treadmill walking, and then spent a couple of hours digging in the dirt. I'd like to have the walking down pat on a daily basis.

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
Laundry...it piles so high in my house. Not to mention all the missing socks. I mean, how does that happen?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Suzanne,
Good for you! Hey, I tried to leave a comment for you on your blog, and the comments window had no internet connection.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Alkelda,
I don't know why getting the 30 minutes of exercise is sometimes so hard to do. But gardening counts for exercise too. There's alot of bending and lifting and joy!

Liz in Ink said...

Vivian, This is so well-timed with the kids almost out of school. I'm going to say 30 minutes of writing on any of my three WIPs -- even if that has to be in two 15 minute chunks! I am sooo happy when my kids get out of school and I finish up my semester but I will regret letting all my work fall by the wayside, I know it. So, 30-day challenge. Bring it ON!

Robin Brande said...

HWM, I love your Monday posts. So uplifting. Thanks for doing this!

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
Wahoo! I hope this helps you!


Robin,
Glad you like.

PJ Hoover said...

Ok, I'm in! I got one. I thought and thought and thought, and here's the perfect thing :)
Drink 8 glasses of water a day. And it must be water. Not iced tea. Not coffee. Just plain unadulterated water.
Monday, here I come!

Shawn said...

I NEED and WANT more "me" time ... good old fashioned breaks -- not ones that involve surfing the Internet for writing ideas and projects ... but maybe curling up with a good book during one of my girls' naps, a bath, a walk when DH gets home, drinking some wine outside ... something, anything other than being at the computer, writing all the time. Thanks for the motivation. My hope is that this will energize my brain for when I am at the computer, resuling in better writing, more productivity and, above all, a happier me. (I better copy all of this, huh?)

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
That is a great habit to start. Water is just so darn good for you. Gotta hydrate that creative brain of yours!


Shawn,
A truly well deserved habit to incorporate into your daily ritual. Nice!

PJ Hoover said...

Well, I'm going to gracefully bow out and let someone else win (because I know I'd win if I did it).
We leave for Disney on Wednesday and I don't want to have to run the potty every half hour (though with my daughter and the potty training, it may be the case anyway).
I will do the wonderful habit forming exercise of drinking 8 glasses of water a day, but for me it will start June 1st (we get back the 31st).
Good Luck to all you habit-forming champions!

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
Have a blast in Disney! I'm glad you'll still commit to this when you get back. Although...why postpone the inevitable? Hee, hee.