Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, May 28, 2007

Inspiration Monday: Check In Time!

"Thoughts lead on to purposes;
purposes go forth in action;
actions form habits;
habits decide character;
and character fixes our destiny."


Last Monday, the 30 Day Challenge officially began. I was so impressed; there were no takers for the 7 Day Challenge. This tells me we've got a bunch of motivated people ready to take action!

So here's what happened to me last week while I was creating my new habit of working on plot and character development every day for at least 30 minutes. The first 4 days were so effortless. I was inspired, ready to think and create, and used every bit of spare time to work on plot and character development. It was incredibly rewarding since I came up with the most brilliant idea (of course to myself) and was able to edit and re-edit a few chapters based on this new development. Talk about thrilling.

By day 5, I was feeling a bit stressed, because I realized I had to rework quite a bit of my WIP to weave in this new development. So I started to panic. I was somewhat tempted to just give myself a day to think it over, but I also knew if I did that, I'd #1. lose my creative momentum and #2. fail at my own challenge, which would kind of stink. Back to the drawing board I went. I struggled, but made my 30 minutes.

This weekend was actually easier for me. My husband took the kids out of the house for a couple hours each day, so I could have some quiet time. I think he's starting to accept all the time I spend on the computer.

All in all, I did good. I made my 30 minute commitment everyday, exceeding the time most days. I had an Aha! moment and came up with an awesome new development for my WIP. This is totally doable. Nothing like some good positive thinking.

Now it's your turn. Check in and tell me via comment, link or e-mail, how did you do this past week?

17 comments:

NYC Teacher said...

Right now I'm trying to make a commitment to clear all of the papers off of my desk. Sad, but true.

I just piled up a bunch of professional books on it to put on the sidebar of my blog, so I'm regressing instead of progressing.

Hope we make some progress today!

cloudscome said...

I am happy with how my week went. My post is here. Thank you so much for inspiring us to do this!

Christine M said...

I guess I'm not challenging myself too much right now - but I did tag you for a meme!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

So far, I've managed to do some sort of exercise for at least 1/2 hour every day except for two days in which I was so exhausted from gardening that I slept hard. I still want to get in walking every day. The other day, I walked to the garden store and back, which was a twenty minute walk each way (longer on the way back, as I was carrying ferns).

HipWriterMama said...

NYC Teacher,
Hope that pile is looking better now!

- - - -

Cloudscome,
I'm quite impressed with your progress. The heart map project sounds great! Thanks for sharing your post.

- - - -

Christine,
That's a cute meme. Okay, I'll work on it.

- - - -

Alkelda the Gleeful,
Exercise is so tough to do. I'm sure you're getting plenty in with all the gardening you're doing. I love those calla lilies!

And by the way, have you ever heard of the 10,000 steps a day program? Walking at any time, even around the house, counts towards those 10,000 steps.

Erin said...

Well, I was an idiot and the first two days I completely spaced out and forgot all about the challenge. The next five days I was especially careful...I had several very late nights where I was exhausted but I WOULD NOT let myself get into bed until I'd written my page! So, I'm doing better now, I think. And I've obviously written more than I would've without the challenge. ;)

HipWriterMama said...

Erin,
Great job! I'm so glad you remembered and worked on your writing.

The point of this exercise, with the weekly check ins, is to give you the motivation to keep working on your new habit. Even though you miss a day or two, the important thing to do is regroup and start over, rather than give up and stop entirely.

Remember that it's okay, don't beat yourself up, and then just do it.

PJ Hoover said...

It's not really Monday already, is it?
Only 3 more days of Disney.
THEN - I will start the water drinking habit. I mean - I will FORM the water drinking habit.

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
I can't believe you checked in while you're on vacation! Extra points for you.

The water drinking habit will be so good for you.

Can't wait to hear how vacation went!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

HWM, I'm so glad to hear about those 10k steps. Today, I laid bricks down beneath the front porch steps. I walked from the back yard to the front yard carrying the bricks 4 at a time. While I could have just lifted a bunch of them into a wheelbarrow and brought them over, I wanted to get my walking in for the day.

HipWriterMama said...

Alkelda, I'm quite impressed. Not only did you get in your walking, but also weightlifting, which is good for your bones. Job well done.

:: Suzanne :: said...

all the sordid details

sigh

HipWriterMama said...

Suzanne,
You can so do this. A bit of tweaking and you'll be good to go. Little steps, little steps.

Remember, you've got a whole cheerleading section with all of us. Go forth and write. You CAN do it.

Liz in Ink said...

Hi -- here I am, a day late, because I'm in Seattle visiting my in-laws. I am loving the challenge. I didn't write at all on Sunday since we spent a 15 hour day traveling to and from Victoria, British Columbia. But other than that I've been good and have almost finished the draft of a new picture book. In a week. Phew.....

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
Seattle, wow. You're so lucky! Hope you're enjoying your vacation.

Glad you're almost finished with the draft of your new picture book! Hurrah!

I saw you were tagged for the meme by A Year of Reading. Can't wait to find out more about you!

Shawn said...

I'm late checking in ... where has my brain been? That's the question. Actually, I took some time off from the computer, from writing. It was very nice. I sat in the yard a lot, we took drives and long walks. Much needed me time ensued as well, including a nap or two, long showers that included shaving legs, etc. All in all, I think I'm finding the balance here.

HipWriterMama said...

Shawn,
Excellent! Glad you're making the most of your me time.