Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, May 21, 2007

Inspiration Monday: 7 Day or 30 Day Challenge Starts Today!

Great is the power of habit. It teaches us to bear fatigue and to despise wounds and pain.

I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.

We first make our habits, and then our habits make us.

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

We are what we repeatedly do.

Okay everyone, today's the day to create a new habit for success! The 7 Day and 30 Day Challenge starts today. I gave you a week to think about your new daily habit, and hopefully you've had a chance to strategize how you were going to make this happen everyday.

As a reminder, if you're interested in the 30 Day Challenge, I have a fabulous 3 prize combination package:
1. A productive new habit for you
2. Increased motivation to reach your goal
3. A $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble (accepted at stores and on-line).

And if you're not able to commit to the 30 Day Challenge, I've cooked up a 7 Day Challenge with a cool 3 prize package:
1. A quick taste of how this new habit will work for you
2. Motivation to work on the 30 day Challenge
3. a paperback copy of The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield.

Challenge Rules:
1. Write a quick comment, e-mail me at hipwritermama@comcast.net but comment first so I know who you are when I get your e-mail, or write a post and link here. Tell me what new habit you'd like to work on and which challenge you'll work on. You can work on both challenges, but for prize consideration, Only One Challenge Per Person. Just to give everyone a fair chance.

2. If you're up for the 7 Day Challenge, let me know today, May 21st. Then write back by 11:00 PM EST Sunday, May 27th, and let me know how you did. I'll announce the winner on Monday, May 28th.

3. If you're going the distance for the 30 Day Challenge, check in with me every Monday starting today (via comment, e-mail or post) with a very quick report on your progress. The 5 dates to check in are May 21st (today), May 28th, June 4th, June 11th, with the final check in on the 30th day -- Tuesday, June 19th by 11:00 PM EST. I'll announce the winner on Wednesday, June 20th.

A few people have already commented last week to let me know they were in the challenge. Suzanne, Alkelda, Liz, Shawn -- Are you still up for this? Anyone else want to make an active commitment toward their dreams? Get ready. Get set. Comment below. Good luck! And. GO! Can't wait to hear from you!

13 comments:

Shawn said...

Well, I go first. I definitely think I made progress. I took a few cat naps just before the girls woke from naps late last week and yesterday I actually LEFT the house and did something entirely on my own, which included lunch, shopping and going to the park to read for a bit. All in all, I am happy with my attempts to get ME time. However, I also accepted more freelance work, creating an even tighter schedule this week and probably next week. My goal is to take the last 3 weeks of June off entirely. CAN I DO IT???? Lord, I hope so. Thanks for the cool challenge. You rock!

cloudscome said...

OK I am in. My 30 day challenge goal is to study Nancy Atwell's "Lessons that Change Writers" and practice writing my own small moments of memoirs. I mean I will read her book in stages through out the month and write every day.

Liz in Ink said...

Oh, yeah. I'm in. 30 minutes a day on one of my works i.p.
Seeming especially critical since I have a sick kiddo home today. Isn't that ironic? Or somethin???
But I also got my first comments back from my writer's group on chapter 1 of historical novel so I'm PUMPED UP. I'm in in a BIG way. What's YOUR goal, Vivian?

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
Aawww. Give your sick little one some big hugs. And try to time her resting time with your 30 minutes for your project. I know easier said then done, but you can totally do it.

That's awesome you're psyched about your writer's group critique. I actually just joined an on-line group and am totally inspired by this group!

Okay, the new habit I'm working on for 30 days is kind of writing related. I'm giving myself 30 minutes of walking time everyday with recorder in hand to think about my plot and character development. I'm at a defining point in my WIP and am trying to make sense of which direction to take the story.

- - - - -

Cloudscome,
I haven't read Nancy Atwell's book and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. That's awesome that you're going to write everyday. And if your memoir writing is similar to any of your posts on your blog, it will be an absolute delight to read. You can totally do this.

- - - - -

Shawn,
I don't know how you mothers of twins do it. Truly amazing. I'm so glad you already started working on your new habit. Me time is so important, so make yourself a priority everyday for those precious 15 minutes or more. A happier you = strong, creative work on freelance assignment = happy family. I know you can do this. You deserve it.

:: Suzanne :: said...

ack, I'm behind before we even started. I thought we were starting the new habit today.

But, I did move forward to my goal of spending 30 minutes a day with my manuscript. I had FOUR desks covered with clutter and now I only have three clutter covered desks and one pristine-ready-for-writing desk. So, I did move forward on my project, just not on my habit.

Thanks for the nifty quotes, Vivian. I added some of them to my quote a day generator.

Also, I am hosting an Adoption Roundup wherein you can share your favorite adoption post, if wish.

HipWriterMama said...

Suzanne,
No worries -- You're not behind. The challenge did start today. Shawn has already started working on her habits, which she totally deserves.

I'm psyched you've got your ready for writing desk all cleared out and ready to go. So get thy butt in chair and write away for 30 minutes! Can't wait to hear about this.

That's awesome that you're hosting and Adoption Roundup. Good luck with that!

- - - -

I've decided real quick to change my habit to something that's more realistic. This walking and thinking about my plot and character development everyday may be tough. I mean trying to get two things in at once...when I'm just getting a new good habit together...

So I'm just gonna choose one. I'll work on my plot and character development everyday for at least 30 minutes. Whew! Now I feel better.

Liz in Ink said...

Hey -- I just wrote, for more than 30 minutes, and posted about it. http://liz-scanlon.livejournal.com/20614.html
Thanks for this great start!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thanks for reminding me, Vivian! I'm still up for the challenge. Thirty minutes of walking a day. I've got to go for the 30 challenge because this has got to be a change for life.

HipWriterMama said...

Alkelda,
You said it perfectly...this is a change for life. Glad you're participating.

---

Liz,
I'm gonna go right over and check your post out.

Erin said...

Hm, let's see... I think I'll challenge myself to writing a page a day on a story (for 30 days). Because (usually) if I can just get that one page down...I can't stop at that. :)

HipWriterMama said...

Erin,
That's awesome. I love your positive attitude...if I can just get that one page down...I can't stop at that.

- - -

Anyone else want to join in? Don't be shy. You have until 11pm EST tonight to enter.

Callipygia said...

Good for you Viv for starting this and inspiring so many!

HipWriterMama said...

Thank you Callipygia. Glad you like this.

Vivian