Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Saturday, May 19, 2007

Grace Lin's Birthday, Book and Boston Blogger Party

Grace Lin sure knows how to throw a party. Arts and crafts, books, a raffle for amazing artwork, cupcakes galore, beautiful fruit trees with pineapple flowers, and a mix of incredibly beautiful kind people. There was one small room where older children could learn how to make colorful tissue paper flowers and the younger children could have fun coloring. A second room was set up to take a look at Grace's books and see Grace's display of gorgeous pictures for the raffle to benefit Robert's Snow. And let me tell you, it's one thing to see the lovely pictures on her blog, it's another to actually see it in person. The pictures on the blog do not do her artwork justice. At all. There was this one picture of a little girl surrounded by brilliant colored flowers that just called my name. Absolutely, absolutely stunning.

Then in the main room, people gathered to meet Grace and get their books signed. I recognized Grace, Eisha, and Elaine from their pictures on their blogs. Grace looked so lovely and confident; and she was quite the gracious hostess. Grace even came over to give my girls goodie bags, which we later found out included a chocolate rat, an ARC of Year of the Rat, and a pink origami swan. And I was standing right there. But I couldn't even introduce myself.

Then I saw cool Eisha talking to other people...so I couldn't just cut in. Right? And Elaine, there she was looking ever so elegant and kind, and yet, I couldn't even say a quick hello to her. Isn't that sad? It was totally my responsibility to introduce myself to these incredible folk, since I had the advantage of knowing what they looked like from the pictures on their blogs. Instead, I froze.

But middle child came to my rescue. She started to cough a little bit and wanted to walk around for a bit. Then right in between the crafts room and book room, middle child bends over and throws up. Oh yes. And not just once. Twice. This viscous, mucousy junky mess.

I have to assure you Grace, especially since you're flying to San Antonio to see Robert tomorrow and don't want to be bringing him any germs, and anyone else there who was totally grossed out, middle child doesn't have any communicable illnesses. It's just middle child's asthma (and all her week long exposure to the pollen then mold from all the damp air) and extra special talent, mine too by the way, of being able to vomit if we cough just a certain way (just to get rid of all the gunk from the lungs). Seriously.

There were two amazing women who were steadfast in helping me out. I don't know who they were, although I have a feeling one of the helpful women was Grace's sister. All I know is they were really quite understanding and gracious when all I wanted to do was sink into the floor. I can't thank you enough.

And Grace, I hope this didn't send people out the door. I don't think it did, because people were walking by all this excitement to enter the party, but in the chance it did, please let me know, and I'll help set up or clean up at your next book signing. Which reminds me, the girls were very disappointed that they couldn't get your autograph. Since we had to leave in a quick hurry. Without saying thank you. But...I managed to say a quick hello to Eisha. Since I realized I better say hello to someone since we were rushing out. Eisha is just the sweetest!

So I think we managed to make Grace's Birthday, Book and Boston Blogger Party quite memorable. And for the first 20 minutes we were at Grace's party, we had a delightful time. The girls were absolutely wide eyed with all the happenings. I'm sure they'll have fun things to report on Monday to their classmates. They were so disappointed we had to leave. Especially middle child. She felt sooo bad. But the good thing is that she felt so much better after all that mucous was expelled from her system.

Hopefully we won't be shunned from interesting parties in the future. Now if you'll just excuse me, I'll just go hang my head in shame.

Edited to add: If you'd like more juicy party details and fun pictures, go visit Elaine's blog.


eisha said...

Hey, it's not really a party until someone pukes, in my book.

Seriously, though, it was so lovely to meet you Vivian. I was really hoping I would get to when I saw your name on the evite. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself, even as you rushed your ailing daughter out the door. And until you told me, I had no idea anyone had been sick, so I don't think it was quite the social gaffe you're describing it as.

We absolutely must meet for coffee sometime before I move. I insist!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Big hugs! Your family is welcome to come to my parties any old time. Maybe not 2 am keggers (we're too old for those kinds of parties, alas), but definitely the other kinds. Vomit is always worst for the people actually throwing up. Everyone else gets over it and forgets it much sooner than you do.

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks, don't throw these invitations lightly -- I might just take you up on it, if I'm ever in your area. And thanks for those sweet words. You're too kind.


Thanks Eisha,
That would be fun meeting up with you. Let's plan something soon!

jules said...

AW PUNKIN HEAD!! I'm so sorry, but I would bet my life that absolutely no one cared about the vomiting. And don't feel bad for freezing up; I bet my good friends whom I'm comfortable around would wish I'd shut up sometimes, but in a room full of people I don't know or haven't officially met yet, I become Flower on Wall.

Oh how I wish I could see Grace's art work up close, too. I'm (happily) jealous!

Thanks for visiting our 7 Kicks list.

PJ Hoover said...

I will have to file this away as tactic #1 for meeting interesting people. Kids can come in handy on SO many ways.!

HipWriterMama said...

Kids are incredibly handy. And awesome.

- - -

Aawww. Thanks. Yeah. That's a good way to describe it. Flower on Wall.

And Grace's artwork up close. Just simply beautiful.

Elaine Magliaro said...


I hope your daughter is feeling better today.

Sorry I didn't get the opportunity to take a picture of you and your children and post it at Wild Rose Reader.

I hope you all enjoy THE YEAR OF THE RAT. I read it last week...and thought it was just as good as THE YEAR OF THE DOG.

cloudscome said...

LOL that sounds like me and my crew at a party. I am still jealous of you for getting to go! It sounds like an awesome party. I hope you and your daughters are recovered...

And best wishes to Grace and Robert when she reads this!

Liz in Ink said...

OK, I'm kind of laughing and crying at the same time over this story. Especially since we had an all-night stomach bug at this abode JUST LAST NIGHT. But there were no illustrious children's lit bloggers in attendance :)
Hope all's well now!

HipWriterMama said...

Hope your little one is feeling better.

- - - -

Thank you. Middle child felt better quite soon after. She just needed to purge her system and decided the party was just the perfect place. And the party was lovely. Elaine has lots of pictures on her blog. Go check it out.

- - - -

Next time, I will make sure I meet you. I can't wait to read Year of the Rat. I loved Year of the Dog.

Grace Lin said...

Hi Vivian,

Sorry I missed you...and your child throwing up! My sister did tell me that someone did that; I'm glad to hear your daughter is okay. Hope she had a nice time before it happened at least. Thanks so much for coming, I hope we can connect next time!