Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!


Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Birthday Tribute and Robert's Snow

My girls are so beside themselves. We were invited to Grace Lin's Birthday, Book & Boston Blogger Party. And, the big day is finally here...early this afternoon!

Grace's new book Lissy's Friends and doll were released yesterday on her birthday. Grace plans on some fun craft activities for the children who attend. There will be homemade cupcakes, chocolate rats (in honor of her upcoming book, Year of the Rat), and blue chocolate roses in honor of her pals at the Blue Rose Girls. She will also have a raffle for her sweet original piece of art (see picture) -- to benefit Robert's Snow. If anyone is interested in the raffle, let me know before 12:00 noon today!

I can't wait to meet Grace Lin. I discovered her, quite by accident. This past winter, while I was in search of a fun craft project for the girls, I found a copy of Robert's Snowflakes at the library. I was quite impressed that 100% of the royalties would go to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, MA and I was touched by the story behind Robert's Snow and Robert's Snowflakes. I thought about my incredible sister and then wrote this inspired post.

Of course, I then checked out Grace's blog, and fell in love with her sweetness, vulnerability, incredible artistic talent and industry, and big smile. I can't even tell you how she reminds me of my sister, just via her beautiful words and artwork.

Suffice it to say, I am on edge to find out how she is doing today, this special day of her Birthday, Book & Boston Blogger Party. Because she and her husband Robert found out yesterday, that Robert needed to get on a plane pronto to start his new clinical trial treatments on Monday. So Robert should be in San Antonio now, and Grace is here and won't fly out to San Antonio until tomorrow.

Grace will have a donation tin at her party for anyone who would like to donate to Robert's Snow/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. If you'd like to donate in honor of a family member or friend, you can do so via The Jimmy Fund at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. And of course, any thoughts and prayers are always welcome.


what'sinyoursoul said...

What a beautiful book! And with cupcakes! Nice to see you, HipWriterMama - some of my favorite people are in Mass!

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Holly for stopping by. Congrats on completing your manuscript! Can't wait to hear what happens next.

Elaine Magliaro said...


I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you at Grace Lin's party today. Happily, I did have the opportunity to chat with Eisha of 7-Imp--and all the other Blue Rose Girls. Maybe someday our paths will cross. Till then--Happy Blogging!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I'm glad you got to go to the party! I look forward to reading the recap.

HipWriterMama said...

Wait until you hear what happened!

- - - - - -

Next time I will introduce myself to you. Until then...

Callipygia said...

How fun for you and the girls. Love the cupcakes and crafts!